Open Minds #2 ft Pakhuis de Zwijger & WdKA
Thursday July 21, 15h-20h
Groothandelsgebouw – rooftop
Let’s hit the rooftop and open up our minds. In a three-piece summer series Venture Café and Studio Wolfpack bring together designers, entrepreneurs and innovators.
21/7 City special, co-produced with Pakhuis de Zwijger
For the second edition we got: Pakhuis de Zwijger on the city ecosystem; FabCity innovation highlights; Willem de Kooning Academy of Arts – the 2016 finalists’; a rooftop dj gig by Bird Soundsystem and local food by Flowers & Sours.
Pakhuis de Zwijger organises events on the urgent and complex urban challenges of today and has grown to be an independent platform for Amsterdam and its inhabitants.
Please take a minute for the longread, it’s worth it….
PdZ breakout #1 – a Fabcity Special
FabCity is a temporary and freely accessible campus at the head of Amsterdam’s Java Island, initiated by Pakhuis de Zwijger. Over 400 innovators in about 50 pavilions showcased prototypes for the city of the future. After three months of experimenting, Pakhuis de Zwijger handpicked three flagship projects for a Fabcity special at Open Minds. What will the future city look like? An exploring discussion will follow after presentations by:
- CycleSpace, is an Amsterdam based, globally minded collective of architects, urban designers, technologists and entrepreneurs with a grand scheme to make cycling the world’s pre-eminent mode of city transport.
- Finch Buildings are creators, and constructors of modular, wooden buildings, based on the principle of extreme durability. They are to the building world what Tesla is to cars.
- Makerversity is a pioneering community of emerging maker businesses. At their Somerset House HQ in central London and now, also central Amsterdam, they are kickstarting the third industrial revolution.
PdZ breakout #2 – how to build a city transition ecosystem?
Pakhuis initiated New Europe – Cities in Transition, a European network of active citizens, entrepreneurs and participating professionals enhancing transition in their cities. The network evolves around the on- and offline exchange of knowledge addressing the central question: who owns the city? Project leader Charlot Schans will give a keynote on the project, before opening up a meeting of minds on the development of city ecosystems with a selection of Rotterdam based programmers.
From Arts to Commercial Practice: award finalists WdKA
About a week ago the Willem de Kooning Academy of Arts and the City of Rotterdam handed out the ‘Drempelprijzen‘ – awards for the most promising arts graduates of the year. At Open Minds the top 3 finalists nominated for Commercial Practice will present their projects. 1) Get inspired and 2) Help them work out their business cases! Featuring:
- Glenn de Silva developed Love Assist – a line of products supporting the elderly not only in daily life (eg crutches) but also in having a love life despite handicaps or general deterioration in health. Including: customer journey, market scan, prototyping and very convincing branding. Ready to become a start up?
- With Trading Air Sami Hammana explored the design of derivatives and redesigned these finance constructs in order improve air quality by speculative mechanisms. After a series of interviews with both finance experts and relevant artists he developed his own financial product and even advertised it in the FD newspaper. Ready to infiltrate?
- Roman Strijbos wants to be a pop star and gives it everything he’s got. Reflecting on his Generation Y status he created his own persona: music, videoclips and a complete online media campaign. On the one hand his work is very easy to digest, as pop culture should be. On the other hand his work is a vulnerable look inside. Ready to hit the charts?
The rise of the creative class in China
China is shifting from ‘made in China’ towards ‘created in China’. What’s happening? How does their creativity differ from Western ways? A masterclass by Mark Greeven PhD who teaches innovation at Zhejiang University and entrepreneur Wei Wei who bridges China and the rest of the world.
Side program: a masterclass in growth hacking by Rockboost.